Umami Stir Fry Powder
⅔ cup dehydrated chopped scallions
6½ tablespoons kosher salt
¼ cup dried shiitake mushroom powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Hash Brown Fish
1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled
½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
¼ cup avocado oil or ghee, divided
2 teaspoons umami stir fry powder or kosher salt, divided
Four 5-ounce skinless sea bass or cod fillets, each about ¾-inch thick
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Make the umami stir fry powder (if desired): Toss all of the ingredients into a mini food processor or spice grinder. Blend to make a fine powder, scraping down the sides occasionally to make sure the dehydrated green onions are totally powderized. (This seasoning will keep in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.)
2. Make the hash brown fish: Grate the potatoes with a food processor or by using the large holes of a box grater.
3. Bundle the shredded potatoes in a clean kitchen towel. Then, wring out the potatoes and discard the liquid.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the shredded potatoes, scallions and 1 teaspoon of umami stir fry powder or kosher salt.
5. Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the other teaspoon of umami stir fry powder or kosher salt on the fish fillets.
6. Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat, and then add 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to the hot pan.
7. Add two ⅓-cup mounds of potatoes to the pan and flatten them into rectangles, approximating the size of your fish fillets.
8. Smush a fish fillet onto each potato layer and cover each one with a thin layer of shredded potatoes.
9. Fry for 5 to 8 minutes or until the bottom layer of potatoes is crisp and golden brown.
10. Carefully flip the fillet packets over with a fish spatula and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes on the other side.
11. Once the other potato layer is nicely browned and the center of the fish registers 135°F on an instant-read thermometer, transfer to a plate.
12. Repeat steps 6 to 11 with the remaining fish and potatoes and serve with lemon wedges.